Friday, June 21, 2013

Bernie Howgate rang my doorbell today. He was holding a book in his hand. He explained to me that he is from Newfoundland and that it is a tradition in Newfoundland for authors to brag about their published books door to door. I was suspicious. Who is this man with long grey hair with the backpack full of books darkening my door? I was completely taken off guard and dumbfounded. Bernie prattled on in his charming Yorkshire accent and when he determined that I wasn't interested he said; "Don't worry about it", turned on his heel and left. I felt my heart sink into my stomach. I just had a feeling that this man has an interesting story. It turns out he has self published a few books about his adventures. I'm writing this post with the hope that Bernie might one day ring your doorbell. I encourage you to engage this interesting character. Offer him a glass of water and buy a copy of the book he is currently selling; "Tales of a Traveling Man" about his 8 year solo bicycle trip around the world. Here is a current picture of Bernie:

 If you answer the door and see this man don't pass judgement. You are meeting a Canadian celebrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment